Jindřich Chalupecký Award 2023
Acceptance of applications
24 October — 23 November 2022
Schedule for the 34th year
24 of October 2022 – 20th of November 2022 — application period
20th of November 2022 — application deadline
January 2023 — announcement of five finalists
September 2023 – January 2024 — the exhibition Jindrich Chalupecky Award 2023
Conditions for Receiving the Award
The Jindřich Chalupecký Award is open to visual artists living or working in the Czech Republic who are at least 35 years of age as of 31 December of the calendar year in which the Award takes place. Czech citizenship is not a requirement.
The Jindřich Chalupecký Award is awarded for outstanding artistic creation in the field of visual arts. It is intended for the emerging generation of artists whose work has the potential to stand out over the long term in both the Czech and international art scenes, and whose work embodies a unique position in terms of content and form. The award is open to artists and artist groups working in any media, while also recognizing cross-disciplinary intersections and other current trends in contemporary art.
Artist duos and groups may apply together (by creating one joint portfolio for the application process). In such cases, the Jindřich Chalupecký Society cannot guarantee different financial conditions for participation than those stipulated for individuals. As regards residencies, SJCh can only guarantee a stay for one person. SJCh will seek additional financial funds in these situations; however, the artists may not claim any right to further support.
The Jindřich Chalupecký Award is an open call to which artists themselves apply. Art professionals may also nominate artists via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominated artists will be invited by Jindřich Chalupecký Society representatives to apply.
The terms and conditions of the Jindřich Chalupecký Award are continually evolving in line with the most current needs of the art world and in response to the prevailing social climate.
The application process is conducted online via the works.io platform. In case of any technical difficulties during the application process, the Jindřich Chalupecký Society offers assistance (see contacts).
Selection of laureates*
The Jindřich Chalupecký Award is decided upon by an independent jury of experts in the visual arts, appointed by the Board of Directors of the Jindřich Chalupecký Society. The jury is composed of five members, including citizens of the Czech Republic as well as foreign experts, usually in a ratio of 2:3. Jurors are limited to a three-year term. The Jindřich Chalupecký Society has no right to influence the jury's decision. The selection of the Jindřich Chalupecký Award laureates is decided by the jury members by consensus, based on intensive group discussions and a thorough selection process.
Each year, the jury selects five artists, whom the Jindřich Chalupecký Society actively supports throughout the year, notably in the artists' development of new works for the joint autumn exhibition.
Member of the WHW curatorial collective and the director of Kunsthalle Wien since 2019
Artist and teacher working from 2011-2019 at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague
Director of the Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven
Independent curator and writer based in the UK and Turkey
Curator and teacher at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the Brno University of Technology
Awards for laureates*
- A 50,000 CZK budget toward the creation of a new work or project, guaranteed architectural and technical support for the project exhibition
- Artist's fee
- Professional cooperation on the installation and exhibition of the work in one of our partner institutions (for this year in the PLATO Ostrava gallery)
- Curatorial and production cooperation on the creation of the work for a period of one year
- Professional photo and video documentation of the work
- The opportunity to engage in workshops and consultations with experts of various artistic processes and techniques
- A possibility of studio space
- Promotion of the artist's work in both specialized and general media
- Professional consultations with the CJCH international jury
- International networking among the Jindřich Chalupecký Society's network of foreign partner institutions and contacts
- “Studio visits” with foreign curators as part of the Café Chalupecký program
- Connection with foreign professionals through the network of Czech Centers
- Support for the artist's ensuing projects and works in subsequent years
- Securing of residencies after the end of the current CJCH cycle
The application is submitted electronically through this website by creating and submitting an artist profile. In addition to basic information, the profile includes:
Answer several questions regarding your work.
Instead of “artist statement“ which was required in the past, please briefly answer the following questions:
- Sum up the main character of your work, your long-term interests, and themes.
- Describe the context of your work – what are your inspirational sources and theoretical starting points, which artists and tendencies do you consider as referential to your work.
- What is your work process like? Do you deal with preparation and research? How do you search for your themes? How do you choose the media you work in?
- What is your vision for the future? How do you want to develop your work and continue your previous projects/realizations? What is your long-term goal/dream?
Please write a brief summary of your artistic practice in one paragraph format (studies, characteristics of your work, achievements / exhibitions). You can find inspiration here: https://www.sjch.cz/en/artist-database/
- The maximum amount of the artworks is 20
- 3 slides can be added to every artwork
- Names / notes of the artworks must be in English or in English and Czech
- Upload a video on Youtube / Vimeo
- It's not necessary to create the "series"; all the "works" can be added within one serie like separate pieces but if you use series, you can easily structure your portfolio by the dates e.g.
Do you need help?
Jindřich Chalupecký Society
A platform for Czech contemporary art in an international context.